Returning from our great road trip from Canada we were flying once again with British Airways. This time we weren’t flying with one of its oldest aircraft’s in its fleet the 747 but one of the newest the Boeing 787 Dreamliner.
Leaving From Toronto which is a very fine airport (Brussels Airport should take a look how to modernize) a clean and nice check in . I was amazed about the quiet and relax security checking coming from an TSA control or similar checking in London and JFK.
After checking in we went for a quick Starbucks oh i love the Pumpkin Spiced late. I was amazed by the fact that some of the restaurants offered free WiFi on a I pad and you didn’t need to consume anything from that Restaurant or Bar, although you where able to order some food an drinks from the Ipad. They even kept track of your flight so you won’t miss it by reading the news or enjoying an PSL or a Glass of wine.
Continuing to my Gate i saw that the Dream liner had all ready been docked. I was really looking forward to flying on this Plane because it has been featured in lots of magazines and TV shows as an “planes that helps fight the Jet Lag” so i was eager to find out if any of the mentioned advantages where true.
Boeing 787 Advantages
- It makes 60% precent less noise than similar aircrafts thanks to its design and use of materials.
- It has a range of 15200 Kilometers
- More cabin bagage size (so no longer carrying that suitcase underneath your seat is guaranteed)
- Windows are 30 percent larger and should be able to be seen from the middle row. The special thing about the windows is that they don’t have any shades. the windows are controlled electronically and will dim according to the user preferences.
- Better Air filters that keep away annoying smelling gases and help filtering out those bacteria.
- Keeping the Air Pressure at 6000 instead of 8000 so you will absorb more oxygen
- Turbulence detection system and counteracting parts.
- Changing lights that wil help you move trough Day and night by adjusting the lights to the mood
The Flight itself
In overall i had to say when i boarded the plane it was kept very tidy (as always with British Airways) and indeed smelt fresh and clean. The blue lights give you a calm and fresh feeling when boarding and seats look to have been more streamlined. The legroom looks increased (but according to seat guru is hasnt). I am quite big so i am always trying to push my legs in a direction where i can have some space(probably the only disadvantage of British Airways is their legroom in economy) .
Starting of with a smooth ascent we were given a drink before the meal in which they offered wide range of drinks i chose a Gin Tonic. which consisted of a Schweppes Tonic and a Gordon Gin ( i always wondered myself what you would get in first class when ordering a similar drink. ) . The Gin Tonic was a nice and refreshing start of the flight.
The In flight system was really up to date apparently British Airways made a deal with HBO so i was able to watch Game Of Thrones. Also the screens were of high quality im not sure but i think they where HD.
Then meal service started unfortunately the did not have any chicken no more so we’ve got the the Pasta Instead
The meal contained a Cesar Salad as starter and some bread and best butter . Main Course was a pasta with tomato juice and cheese. Dessert was simply excellent it was a piece of Chocolate pie. I have to say British Airways food service is quite good.
After that i took a quick nap and just before landing which was 45 minutes early we receive a nice muffin as a snack.
After a quick taxi to the gate i enjoyed once more the view and proceeded to security check at Heathrow and then Ordered some breakfast at Wagamama which was absolutely amazing after a flight i never enjoyed breakfast so much (perhaps i was felling tired of the jet-lag) . After that i got some rest and wait for my connection flight back to Belgium.